Friday, July 20, 2007

Boys Be Ambitious

When I woke up Monday morning, I hurried and got ready to go to the train station. I would be meeting Kentaro there since his hotel was close by the station. Today was the day that Kentaro and I planned to go to Sapporo. We were going by train and it was scheduled to leave at 8:00am. My host mother was driving me to the train station and we pulled in with the car around 7:55am. When I saw Kentaro, he was already coming towards us with his suitcase in hand. My host mother and I ran towards him because it was late. Kentaro gave his suitcase to my host mother and Kentaro and I bolted for the train. Kentaro had his ticket ready but I did not. I was digging in my pockets to find the right ticket so I could put it in one of those gates that have bars and open up when the ticket is inserted. There was a security guard there. Our train was right in front of the gate so the securtiy man just told me to go around and not worry about it. He was like panting though because he did not want me to miss it. Kentaro and I ran and got on the train just as the door closed behind us. If we were a couple second later then that we would have missed it. It was really funny how such a close call that was. We were tired on the way there so we slept most of the time. We arrived in Sapporo and we went around shopping centers to look at stuff. Kentaro had a book of all of the famous things in Sapporo. We went to the park that was in the middle of the city. It was very hot that day so it was hard to stay in one spot. We decided to go to a viewing hill that had several famous things about Sapporo just outside of the major city area. We took a bus toward the hill. The hill view was beautiful. You could see the whole city from the tip. At the top was a statue of William S. Clark. It is famous there in Japan and is known for the quote "Boys be ambitious" (There is writing on the statue and it starts with those words). There is also a restaurant with famous gengiskhan lamb meat. We ate there and took our signature picture with the same stance of the Clark statue. It was great fun. We returned back to the city and walked around site seeing some more. There was a famous dojo that we got to look at. We did not get to go inside though. For dinner both of us decided to return to asahikawa for dinner. My host mother was going to take us to sushi but we went a bit late and all the restaurants were closed. So there was a Ramen shop that was open late and we decided to eat there. The bowls they served were huge! (and very delicious) I got my self a coolish ice cream and then we took Kentaro to his hotel for the night. He would be leaving tomorrow morning back home. :(

No comments: