Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Exploring the City


The picture above is the supermarket I went to called CO OP

The picture above is melon pan, which is a bread snack
that was really delicious. The one I had was flavored with chocolate chips. The picture below is of me eating the melon pan.
These pictures were taken for George from the California orientation.
I wish I could give you some George :D. Oh, and you are right,
they are delicious. XD

Below is a picture of part of the city. This part did not have many
tall buildings, but when we drove farther into the city there were more.
My lunch I bought, mmmm.



Tuesday the 19th was an exploration day for me. Like everyday, I awoke to have a delicious breakfast with my host mom. My host mom went to work and I went running. When I got back, I got on my bike and I went to the supermarket. The word "supermarket" is not an overstatement. It was a 2-floor store with lots of stuff. The second floor had a section that was a 100 yen section, just like dollar stores in the U.S. I looked around at everything in the store to see what things I liked. I found many things that I would have liked as souvenirs. Well, I decided to take a picture of everything I had an interest in so as not to forget something when I make my purchases towards the end of my stay. LOL.

It got around lunch time and and I went down to the first floor, which was the grocery section, and I got myself a little tray of food. There was a very large selection of pre-packaged meals that it was hard for me to choose. I went home on my bike and I ate... mmm, mmm. Afterwards, I went and explored the city more. I did not know what time it was, but I guessed it was around 3-ish. So, I went to the elementary school to see my host mom after school let out. As I went in, many kids were leaving so many of them pointed at me and said "Gaijin", which means foreigner!!! When I got into the school, I said hi to the vice-principal (the same one that I went to Bikkuri Donkey with) and asked where my host mom was. I laughed when she was called down on the PA system. XD. My host mom rushed in and I just told her I came to say hi, LOL. So she told me that she will be home in 2 hours. I had to leave then. As I was going back home, an elementary student called my name, so I crossed the street towards him. He asked me something extremely fast in Japanese and I could not understand him. It sounded like he was asking me where I was going, but I could not understand the last part. I told him I did not understand and all he did was repeat himself at the same speed. After his second try, he said bye and went home. Other kids waved to me as I was going by.

I practiced some Kanji and then my host mom got home. We left to go shopping. Since I never know the time once I leave the house, and I want to track my running times, I thought it would be a good idea if I got a watch that had a timer on it. I also wanted one with Japanese on it so it would be a nice souvenir for myself, too. So we went to the sports shop first, and the helper at the store brought us to the watches. My host mom did not understand exactly what I was looking for, but all I wanted was an inexpensive watch. She told the guy all of these things and he took us to a section where watches were like 100 dollars. I laughed. My host mom looked at the most expensive watch that measured your heart beat and had a 300 lap time memory. AHAHA. So we went to two other shops that were like a 1-minute walking distance away. They carried only expensive ones. So when I assumed we were going to the grocery store for the salad dressing she wanted, we stopped at this designer accessory shop that had expensive brands like Gucci and more. She went to the counter and asked for a sports watch. So the store clerk brought us to these like $300 dollar gold watches and I was laughing in my head pretty hard. My host mom said, "Wow, expensive" and we left. We ended up going to Jusco, a supermarket, and I got a $10 dollar watch. We got home late and I went to bed.

No comments: