Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Attempt to the mountains. (I did not know what I was thinking.)

On Monday, after my host mom went to work, I happened to look outside and stared at the scenic mountains in the distance. I decided that I would ride out that way on my bike and then maybe... run up a mountain. The idea was crazy, but I wanted to do it. So I took a piece of paper and drew myself a map so I would not get lost on the way back. I left around noon because I spent a lot of time in the morning trying to get pictures to upload . It looked like the mountains were close, but as I pedaled and pedaled, I did not get any closer. It took me a while to realize that those mountains could be possibly 20 miles or more away. Of course, I could never know the exact amount unless I actually went there or looked it up. XD I decided on a different plan. I remembered that when I looked outside from my house, I also could see what seemed like a hill in the distance. It appeared closer than the mountains, actually much closer, so I now decided to head towards it. It looked like I would reach it in only around 5 to 10 minutes. So I pedaled and pedaled. It still appeared the same distance away. I was determined though and after a long, long time of riding , I finally got there. I found out it was actually a very big skiing hill. It only appeared a small hill from my house. So I started to run up and then I hit grass that was taller than my waist. I heard some snakes rattling and there was white foam on the ground and I was out of there . HAHAHA. So I may have ran for 5 minutes and then I realized that I would be super tired because I still had to ride back home! I did not even know what time it was. I arrived back home around 3:30, so that means I rode my bike for around 2-2.5 hours . I wish I knew how many kilometers the hill was away from my home here, but I still do not know. All I know is that it was a lot of miles.

My host mom arrived exactly at the same time I did back home. We talked, watched TV, and ate dinner. I gave her some beef jerkey that I brought from the states for her to try. I was really tired after a long day of biking, so I intended to go to bed early. It was an adventurous day for me, but I wish I would have been able to go to the mountains. Maybe I will find some way another time. My host mom said that the mountains by Furano (where my host grandparents live) had bears there and people die, so needless to say I got scared a bit when I thought about my plan to go to the mountains. But my host mom said that it was safe by the ones in Asahikawa. I was relieved at first, but then I thought that these mountains were so far away that they are actually about the same distance away as the mountain range in Furano. So I am not really sure if bears could lurk there or not. I hope not. I will probably ask again to make sure.


5 comments:

Louise said...

ahaha i seriously "lol"-ed when i read this.
you nerd... :] dont get hurt
♥Louise

Louise said...

It's great you're being adventurous but you need to be careful. Stay out off tall grasses!! Ohh, I think you shouldn't be going into the mountains by yourself, you might get lost or meet a bear (that would be cool though...not!!). Take care now! Maria ;)

Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OMG Adam!! I nearly peed my pants when I read this one. I highly recommend taking a bag of beef jerky with you on your next adventure to the hills and when it looks too far away, it probably is! Therefore, I suggest you bribe a car going by with the bag of beef jerky and trade the bike for the car!!! LMAO!!!
Change that idea to bring two bags of jerky with you. One to barter with and the other in case you do run into a bear. Toss the jerky to him and runnnnnnnn!!!!

But I'm glad to see that you're having such a good time. I still can't stop laughing. Please come home in one piece not many pieces in each of your suitcases. We love and miss you soooooo much! I can't wait to read this one to Wujek Michas...I think you'll be the first person to ever be able to make him laugh uncontrollably!

Love you lots!
Ciocia Ann

Anonymous said...

Adam you should have just been like byahhhhhhhh right in the snakes face lol. sounds like your having a great time keep the blogs coming.