Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mister Donut




Today my host mom was in a rush to go to work, so she gave me an equivalent of 10 dollars to go to the super market and buy lunch for me and my grandpa. I explored parts of the city that I haven't before, and I saw a few more supermarkets - that made me happy. A supermarket called Daiichi had cheaper candy. Yes! However, I also went to the usual supermarket I go to because it had a bigger selection of lunches. I got an obento for me and my grandpa that had rice, teriyaki chicken, potato salad, and egg. It was very good.

After lunch, I rode back to Daiichi to candy hunt. I looked around there, but I saw another supermarket called Big House. So I looked there, and I found juice was cheaper. I bought a Calpis water to try and a Mow strawberry ice cream to try. I needed strawberry ice cream after that soft serve I had the other day. I didn't notice until I got home that I purchased a drink and an ice cream brand that had a similarity in their names. Of course, just about anyone (American) looks at the name Calpis and notices it sounds like something else (self-explanatory), but the ice cream Mow sounded like Moo in Japanese, which sounds like mow as in mowing your lawn. That is the sound that a cow makes in Japan. I laughed because both of these items had a connection to cows. ahah. After a good laugh with myself, I enjoyed my snack. This was day 4 of "Japanese supermarket food testing". So far, I have liked everything.

Soccer was short, but fun. We had a scrimmage and I talked more with the team. I am going to try and talk to the vice-principal and see if I could still be able to go to school. After soccer, I went for a run, but I experienced something that felt like a bruised right hip bone, but right when I was the farthest from my house, it swelled up and I could barely walk. So I took a little break, and I started to walk towards home. When I got to what seemed about only 2 miles left to my house, I started to jog a little. I ended up ok, but I got home a little late.

I had dinner with my host mom and grandpa. After dinner, my host mom asked me not to be sleepy. I was confused because I did not get it. I understood that after a day of running, soccer, and biking everyday, I was pretty much extremely tired around 9:00. Since I got home late, it was getting close to around that time. Afterwards, I found out she asked me not to be sleepy because she wanted to take me to Mister Donut, a donut shop. Mister Donut is a popular donut shop around Japan, and I even knew about it in America. I wanted to visit it really bad, and now I had the chance. My brother had told me that if I ever go, I should try a particular donut. So when we got there, I took my brothers advice and I picked the curry filled one. My host mom picked an assortment of donuts and jelly snacks to take home. I later found out that they were for me and my grandpa. All the donuts were very good, especially the curry filled one. Thanks for the advice brother. :)

After Mister Donut, we stopped at a book store and my mom picked up some flash cards on a ring. When we got home, she told me to right down any English word I wanted to know in Japanese on one side, and later she would put Japanese on the other. We would do this throughout the rest of the stay. This was a good idea. I was happy because there were many words I wanted to know. Afterwards, I went to bed with a filled, happy stomach.

7 comments:

Louise said...

i guess we didnt have to worry about you not eating the food. :] silly boy

♥Louise

Anonymous said...

Well I guess you aren't going to starve. =] That's not a worry anymore. haha I love how all your blogs have some sort of food involved.

miss you!
love,
Asia ♥

Anonymous said...

kuri as in curry???

dunno about you man, but a curry filled donut is not tasty.

Slowly but surely . . .you are becoming more eggish every day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam!
Welcome to Japan!
Did you also drink CALPIS water? We remembered last year.
It is the incident which Chris experienced at the Ryuukoku high school. We had much pleasant recollections given from Chris last year.
Much Adam also needs to enjoy Japan!
Matane!

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,
It sounds like you're having a great time. We love reading the blog. We are so proud of you for going on this wonderful adventure. Every day Rachel and Jessica ask me to check for new postings.

All our love,
Uncle Angelo, Aunt Donna, Jessica and Rachel

Celvie Ann said...

Hi Adam,
Seems like you are enjoying Japan. I found your blog through your brother. Thats amazing how both of you guys both went to Japan same program and everythinhg. Well actually I am in Japan right now too. I am an exchange student aswell, except ive been here since March. Im so jealous how youve been posting everyday. So that has inspired me to post as often as I can. BUt since you know the life of a teenager in Japan is quite difficult cause of clubs aswell! gosh clubs are crazy,practice like crazy. And ive been here for a while and just started. haha. But that is great your having fun in Japan and everything. I live in Aizu-Wakamastu which is in the Fukushima Prefecture. Have fun!

George A. said...

I'm so glad your enthusiasm is still up into this point of the stay and it sounds like you are settling in very well. Keep it up! And that is an awesome idea - the English-Japanese notecard thing. If your host mom invested in a electronic dictionary that can also make conversations much easier, but they are expensive. :/

Anyway - next time I go to Japan I'm going to have to try some more donut flavors from Mister Donut. And your Calpis/Mow story is hilarious!